1
Posted October 3, 2013 by Samantha Alexander in Beauty
 
 

Fight the Fight: Four Ways you Can Help Battle Breast Cancer

FIGHT

W

ith October comes not only the cooling of the weather and the turning of leaves but also the celebration of breast cancer awareness. In the spirit of awareness here are some facts from the National Breast Cancer Foundation on breast cancer and it’s impact on women.

-One in eight women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.

-Breast cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women.

-Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women.

-Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die.

While the facts seem grim hope is always alive as research is tirelessly conducted to better understand how to combat breast cancer. This is why October becomes awash with pink, the color not only helps raise awareness and support for breast cancer research, it also honors those individuals and families who have fought the battle. Here are some fun ways you too can help fight breast cancer and have a good time doing it.

1. Go get your hair done!

Every Thursday this month until the 17th,  Blaine’s salon in Dallas will be hosting their Boobs, Bubbles and Blowout event. For every blowout  they do they will be donating half the proceeds to the Susan G. Komen foundation.

BBB

 

2.Shop!

It’s fun, it’s easy and it helps a lot. Tons of products out there donate a portion of their proceeds to various breast cancer foundations and don’t worry not all of them are pink.

3. Run! 

Sign up for Dallas’ Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure and join thousands of men and women as they don their brightest, pinkest attire and run in celebration of strength, survival, and the memory of those lost. 75 percent of the funds raised will go to support vital local breast health services with the remaining 25 percent to national research to find the cures.

Komen Dallas Race for the Cure

 

4. Start Your Own Fund Raiser! 

Why wait around for someone to help raise support? Have your own bake sale, throw a benefit concert or even start a car wash. All are good ways to help raise money and awareness, and if those don’t strike your fancy check out some other ideas from the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Whatever you choose to do, your help will be invaluable and far reaching.

BC Cupcakes

The diagnoses of breast cancer can be devastating to both individuals and their families. But with the help of cutting edge research and foundations that help them in their fight, people can come out survivors who are stronger than they ever were before. That’s why no act of support from you or others in your community is too big or too small, so do what you can and give what you can and help give strength to those who need it most.

 


Samantha Alexander

 
Samantha Alexander
Samantha Alexander is employed by YouPlus Media, and is a contributing author for YouPlusStyle. She also works as a freelance model at various Dallas fashion events as well as with local photographers on fashion-inspired projects.