Lauren Conrad’s Ballerina Bun
or the past 22 years I have sported the same hairstyle: blonde straightened hair. Nothing fancy. Occasionally I’d wear it in a pony tail if it was dirty, I worked out, or on the rare occasion that I rode in a convertible. But with the help of a New Year’s resolution and the ever-inspiring Pinterest, I decided to add a few new routines to my hairdo repertoire.
I attempted several hairdo endeavors, including the fishtail braid, which I still have yet to master, as well as some Game of Thrones inspired braids. The experience has not been easy and I have had many failures along the way, but there is one hairdo that I mastered immediately: the sock bun. It looks simple enough, but then again so did the others. I was constantly tormented by young girls I babysit who could do more intricate things with their hair at age 12 than I can at 22. But this one was different; it clicked. So I can say without a doubt that if I can master the sock bun, anyone can!
- Get a pair of dress socks and cut a whole in the toe. If you don’t have one than you will need to go out and buy a pair, trust me. I attempted it with an old nike sock and it was not up to par.
- Roll the sock into a donut
- Gather your hair in a ponytail (high or low, whichever you choose!)
- Pull the end of your ponytail through the middle of the sock and begin tucking the hair under the outside of the donut.
- Continue to tuck hair under until the sock reaches your head.
Voila! If you’re looking to add a little flare to your perfectly bunned head, try this pretty pink bow a la Lauren Conrad.